Sunday, April 30, 2006

Update from Katie Streeper

I just talked to Katie Streeper from Widener, who is at the top of the Widener phone chain and is currently with Nate. The pressure in Nate's brain is at 22 (I'm not sure what units this is). I'm told that below 20 is normal, and Nate's pressure was originally up around 90 when he arrived at the hospital and was near 40 for much of Wednesday night and Thursday morning. I'm not sure if they are still giving Nate drugs that keep his brain pressure down or if it is staying down on its own ... maybe more on that later.

Katie also said that Nate's pupils are still reacting to light, which is phenomenal. They are still not reacting at any kind of normative level; his eyes aren't behaving the way they would if he hadn't been in an accident at all, but it's an improvement. Also, Nate's arms and hands are swelling, but this is totally normal (this would happen to you or me too if we sat still for as long as Nate has). Finally, Nate's breathing and heart rate remain steady, although I'm pretty sure he is still on the ventilator assisting his breathing at this point.

One of the doctors at the University of Pennsylvania said that Nate is in a gray area right now, where things are stable but could get much better or much worse. Keep praying that God would choose for Nate to get better out of those two options, and continue to show support! Everyone has been great so far, and I know the Graybills have voiced their appreciation. I'm posting here as soon as I get new information, so I'll let all of you know the moment that I do! God bless.

--Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: Post a Comment